06/03/2011

Ex Saint gets the Brighton Bug

During my time at the Journalist Works I am frequently on the look out for potential news stories.
As an aspirant sports journalist I would love to make press about my beloved Brighton and Hove Albion.

I recently interviewed a certain Andrew Sutton. You may not have heard of him, but trust me this man deserves respect from any Seagulls follower. Andrew was a Southampton fan (Scummer!) before being hooked by the "Albion Atmosphere" and is even buying a season ticket at the Amex next year!
Here is my story, which I hope The Argus will publish!



     Brighton vs Southampton has always been a fierce rivalry. It’s almost up there with the enmity of Crystal Palace. However, for one Albion fan the upcoming Saints fixture will have more significance than ever before.


Andrew Sutton, 23, from Thornhill Rise in Portslade will be cheering the stripes on at the Withdean,
only a few weeks after “being converted” from their South Coast rivals.


“I was a Southampton fan when I was growing up because of my granddad but I didn’t realise I had a fantastic team on my doorstep. Now I plan to work as a programme seller at the new Amex to fund my season ticket for next season.”


Andrew has travelled to most of Albion’s away matches this season, getting the coach to all corners of the country and has heralded the atmosphere created by the Brighton fans on board for getting him hooked. 
He said: “I used to only go watch Brighton when a spare ticket was floating around.


“I play darts with the son of a man called Jon who runs a bus company called BHA Blues Away. I used to always travel up with them every now and then but the atmosphere just got my hooked.


“We always have a laugh and it’s thanks to people like Jon. He encourages a good sing-song and well friendly banter."


One of his proudest football moments was when he was a small child he got to see Matt Le Tissier from only three yards away at Southampton's old ground, The Dell. But his all time favourite memory came at an Albion game: “I was actually at the last game at the Goldstone Ground, it was chaos.


“Someone tore up the centre circle, others clapped the goal nets, people were taking seats and a steward came up to me and said, ‘You guys are doing a cheap demolition job for us.’ It was fantastic.”


Andrew believes the move to the Amex stadium and promotion will entice more football fans to join the Albion cause. He said: “Getting promoted this season will make travelling to games on the bus ten times more fun.


“If we can hold on to our current players especially the likes of Calderon and Glenn Murray things will only get better. I will always have a soft spot for Southampton but nowhere near the same magnitude now that I’m an Albion fan.”



No comments:

Post a Comment