17/05/2011

Living the Dream

I have now cut my teeth in the world of sports journalism.

I have had a week on the Sport's Desk of my local paper, The Argus and prior to that I was working in Wimbledon for SportsBeat who have ties with The Football League Paper and The Rugby Paper.

I loved all of it.

A particular highlight was interviewing one my favourite Albion players, Glenn Murray. I am very proud SB editors Craig Chisnall and Steve Bond put faith in me to talk to my hero without sounding like a mouse interviewing Mr Babybel (cheezy simile, I know.) I almost asked, "Hey, Muzza, would you like come to my birthday party?"

Whilst working for SportsBeat I volunteered to be Burgess Hill FC's match reporter for their final game of the season. It was a beautiful sunny day and everyone I met, from the fans to the ticket sellers, was friendly, loved their club and during the game I had good banter with the pitch side reporter, Dave.
On top of that, I got my match admission for free and even got a slice of cake and cup of tea at half time.
Living the dream...

Burgess Hill FC's press box

The Argus guys were great to me as well. Editor Chris Giles despite having the countenance of Jack Dee was very approachable and made me feel at home very quickly. I spent most of my week helping Mike Legg with his Youth In Action weekly supplement. Leggy not only taught me a lot and despite being a Derby County fan, was a top bloke. Thanks also to Howard Griggs for putting his trust in me and writing an awesome reference for my portfolio.

Here are some of my online bylines...

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/18892.php

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/18917.php

No comments:

Post a Comment